Characteristics of School of Excellence
Post date: Aug 11, 2016 6:35:36 AM
By: Dr. Merlinda C. Dominguez
Does our school belong to School of Excellence? Find out considering the characteristics listed below :
· Teaching methodologies are designed to encourage independent thinking
· Students are engaged and look forward to school and learning
· Capable, motivated and well trained teachers
· Appropriately designed curriculum
· Good teachers who motivate students, care about their needs, and engage parents and the community as partners
· Effective learning materials, including but not limited to textbooks
· A safe well-maintained learning environment
· Appropriate technology integrated in the teaching-learning process
· A school culture and climate conducive to learning
· A valid reliable learner assessment and evaluation system
· Effective school leadership including instructional supervision
· A culture of collegiality is promoted among teachers
· Ample direct instructional time
· Adequate financing
· Effective communication systems
Since achieving school of excellence requires collaborative effort, what steps can the school system take to help school heads develop the necessary skills? To address the new challenges in practicing instructional leadership, below are suggested activities/strategies to look into:
Teaching methodologies are designed to encourage independent teaching where the school head should review the teachers’ lesson plans as well as observe classes to check on how teachers encourage the development of independent thinking and other related skills among students.
Appropriately designed curriculum where the school head should review, revise and enrich curriculum as needed, in consultation with teachers and other officials.
Effective learning materials including, but not limited to, textbooks where school head should creatively source out learning materials and create a system for the storage and sustainable use.
Appropriate technology integrated in the teaching-learning process where the school head should know the tools that might be helpful in advancing student learning. He should know different ICT hardware and software that can be used for various teaching-learning activities. He should know how to prepare technology plan for the school.
A safe and well maintained learning environment where the school head should regularly check that the school is clean, safe and secure intellectually stimulating and has positive emotional climate and well maintained. He should make sure that the students are secure inside their classrooms.
A valid reliable learner assessment and evaluation system where the school head should put in place a school evaluation system that emphasizes assessment for learning in consultation with teachers and other stakeholders.
Ample direct instructional time where the school head should be visible inside the school to give technical assistance to his teachers as possible. The 70% must spent to supervision and the remaining 30% for paper works late in the afternoon.
Effective organizational structure and support where the school head should establish a school council and create ad hoc committees and set up quality circles for effectiveness in addressing the needs of students, teachers and community.
Reiterating the same question, “ Does our school belong to school of excellence”? If the answer is yes, then we have to sustain it. If the answer is no let us work hand in hand to achieve school of excellence. It really needs collaborative effort. Are you willing to join the journey in achieving school of excellence to have quality education, and develop life-long learners?